- Cut your pieces out. Skirt piece: a large rectangle, with the tablecloth’s finished edge on bottom. Width=waist measurement+2″, length=desired+1/2″. (i.e.Paige’s was 28″x14″, her friends was 30″x16″); waistband/tie piece: with finished edge on one side. With=5″, length=50″-60″ for child’s size; two pocket pieces: 6″x6″-top edges should have finished edge.
- Hem the sides of skirt pice by folding under twice and sewing.
- Fold the edges of the pockets under once and pin evenly to skirt pice. Sew three of the sides, leaving the tops open.
- Gather the top of the skirt by sewing a long straight stitch and pulling one of the threads. (Full gathering tutorial )
- Fold over the unfinished long edge of the waistband/tie piece and baste or pin.
- Fold the each end of the tie piece in half widthwise with right sides facing and sew, then turn inside out.
- Fold the waist band in half widthwise with the skirt piece centered in between. Pin and sew all along the side of the waistband/tie piece.
Source:Ruffles Ands Tuff