- 5 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 6 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- pinch of salt
- (optional) 1/8 teaspoon pure lemon extract
- Place butter into a small saucepan and melt on low heat.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl whisk cornstarch into milk until combined.
- Zest and juice lemons and set aside.
- When butter is melted, turn burner up to medium-high and slowly whisk in the milk/cornstarch mixture.
- Add granulated sugar to pan and stir to incorporate.
- Add lemon zest, lemon juice, pinch of salt and lemon extract to the pan and continue to mix until sauce comes to a light boil and sauce thickens.
- Cook for 3 minutes more and remove from heat. Cool completely and serve.
- Sauce can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.